Monday, December 21, 2009

Practice makes perfect

Well, I am still using up my silicone products. For some reason this weekend I have felt guilty about knowingly ruining my hair. When I was clueless, it was just whatever, but now I know what these products are doing and it kind of sucks. Even though I am damaging my hair, I am practicing for the curly girl method with my current products. So I use my normal shampoo with sulphates :( and then condition my hair. Normally, I would just leave conditioner in for a few minutes then brush my hair when I am out of the shower but the curly girl method says to use a wide tooth comb in when conditioner is in and rinse with cool water so i did that. then when my hair was soaking wet, i threw in my products (full of silicone) and plopped. Plopping is another part of this method. It encourages your curls to curl by getting all of your hair on the top of your head using a t-shirt or a microfiber towel. I just used my sons baby towel. This video describes it well. The other days this weekend I did everything without plopping and my hair did look better BUT today i plopped and oh my god... my wavy hair is CURLY. Of course, I have not gone outside since my shower and it will probably be frizzy tomorrow, but already there is a difference in styling based on this method so when i convert to the new way of hair care, I feel there will definitely be results.
Anyway, I plopped for thirty minutes and then let it down and threw some spray gel in. With this method, you are not supposed to touch your hair because that can lead to frizz and I'm finding that very hard to do considering I have a six month old who cannot keep his hands out of my curls. Hopefully, I can figure out a way to do this.
The book 'Curly girl : more than just hair-- it''s an attitude' has been shipped to my local library and will be there tomorrow. Tomorrow is my birthday so I am at least hoping it will be there :)
Here is my hair done without plopping, you can see the notorious triangle shape that curly's have to deal with, flat on top and curls weighing your hair down.

Here is with plopping, you can see how much fuller it is at the top and my curls are more defined.



Hopefully I will be onto new products soon, I will update the progress, until then--- I will practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment